Sunday, June 28, 2009

Garam Masala Oatmeal?


This almost worked. Garam Masala oatmeal sounded like a winner, and it very nearly was. I have a large bag of garam masala- that magical all spice mixture of Indian cuisine- and am constantly looking for more avenues in which I can use my spice. As my mind's bend has been of late directed towards oatmeal, it is only natural that I would eventually combine the two. This morning was the moment of truth, I mixed the oats and water and then went to add the garam masala. Then, disaster struck. The garam masala got away from me, an avalanche spilled into the sauce pan and I could only spoon so much extra out of the precious oats. I knew there was too much garam masala in, but thought it could still be okay. I cooked to the normal consistency, hoping for deliciousness, but when the moment of truth arrived and I took a bite, it was too much. I couldn't eat it. I had to throw the bowl out and start again. At that point I was getting quite hungry and went for my favorite applesauce oatmeal combo. Maybe I'll give garam masala oatmeal another go tomorrow.

No comments: