Thursday, June 11, 2009

Rain Strike


From my title, you could think that I am planning a strike against the rain. Oh how I wish such a strike could ever be possible! I'd strike, organize sit-ins, teach-ins, and any other type of protest technique to get this rain to go away. Maybe a rain dance can work in reverse? Because yes, it continues to rain a it every day...and the rain, rain, rain won't go away! I woke up this morning to rain, yesterday was glorious but for a few scattered showers, and I believe we have weeks more ahead on the forecast. Why does summer have to be a rainy season for the majority of the world? I just want dry heat and sun beaming down on me. I'll take the extreme heat, just keep the rain at bay. Today I was hoping to go to the park and catch some rays, but at this point it seems as though that won't be on the day's menu. The rain, rain, rain, comes down, down, down, and I keep hoping it'll go away. Maybe I'll have some luck this weekend. I'm not going to hold my breath- but I'll keep the hope burning in my summer storm lantern. I also have a new theme song, The Blow's Come on Petunia, give it a try, it incorporates an awesome sample of The Police's Every Little Thing She Does is Magic.

If I am not striking in protest of the rain, no need to fear, for I'll get my fill of strike next week. Next week kicks off a week long education strike in Germany- Bildungsstreik 2009! There are teach-ins planned (although not called teach-ins, I know that is what they are), seminars on how to have a proper demonstration, and a big demo planned for next Wednesday at Berlin's Rotes Rathaus, Berlin's town hall. Now you may ask, why are we striking? The rising cost of education (absurdly low in contrast to the US), elitism in education, etc., etc... Although I do agree that these issues are problems, growing ones, and that they should be addressed- it seems like we are striking just for the hell of it. I for one, think I should bring this strike/protest ethic back with me from Berkeley. It seems California's financial woes may affect me directly when I return to the gold and blue. The Terminator is threatening to phase out CalGrants- now while I don't receive a CalGrant, the university has informed me that should CalGrants be phased out, all students receiving financial aid will be negatively affected. I'll share the burden with everyone else- to the tune of an estimated $1000 per student. Let the fun begin.

No comments: