Saturday, June 27, 2009

Savory Oatmeal Redux:Tomato Oatmeal


Before I was forced to return to the delicious combination of applesauce and oatmeal, I had a sudden epiphany. Oatmeal with Italian seasonings? Why couldn't it work? Let me lay the field with what my tomato oatmeal included. First I measured out the half cup oats and full cup water and cut them in my sauce pan. With the stove on medium heat, I mixed in a tablespoon tomato paste, a pinch of basil, a dash of garlic, and some salt. It took a bit longer to reach the proper, sticky, oatmeal consistency than normal- but the result? Fairly delicious. I even added a little bit of shredded goat cheese and it tasted even better.

I think it is fair to say that you can treat oatmeal like a blank slate, adding which ever flavor combinations you can think of. I'm not sure where I want to go next, maybe into an exciting world of Asian flavors? I have soy sauce, wasabi, sriracha, etc. Let's see what I can come up with. I invite all suggestions.

No comments: