Friday, July 17, 2009

Wrapping Up


My 50 weeks in Berlin is beginning to draw to a close, classes have come to an end, almost all my grades are in order, and friends are rapidly leaving. I have a powerful urge to take everything off my walls, clean out my closet, and pack my bags. But, I still have about two weeks and such preemptive measures could induce some sadness. So, I am holding off on the walls but beginning to think what I really need to bring back. The list seems to be much smaller than I had thought, I think I may even end up bringing back less than I initially had. This appeals to me, I wish I could just return with a carry on of books.

The wrapping up really began this week. I finished my last week of German university. With bells, I might add. I've gotten three of my grades back so far- good news there. But yesterday was my dear friend Lydia's last day in Berlin. Lydia that I have seen almost everyday for nine months (but for a brief break in Winter). Lydia that has become one of my best friends, and Lydia that I have shared Berlin with. With her departure, I can't help but be sad. So much of Berlin is marked by the experiences I have shared with her here and the places we have discovered together; I can imagine it without her friendship, but I don't want to. It;s fitting they call for rain this weekend.

So for now, it is back to oatmeal for me and I am left with the thought that in two weeks I'll be packing my bags and saying goodbye to Berlin, for at least a while.

No comments: