Thursday, May 21, 2009

Twenty-One in Germany


You'd think turning 21 in Germany, where the drinking age is 16 for beer and wine and 18 for everything else, would be a bit anti-climactic. But, now with two 21 celebrations under my belt here in Berlin- my own and two nights ago for Michael- I know this is only mildly true. The fact of the matter is that you can really celebrate anything anywhere and anytime you want- simply see my Thanksgiving and Cinco de Mayo celebrations in Berlin, and just wait for the 4th of July celebration to come! Due very much in part to the dominance of American pop culture the world over, I don't need to be in America to celebrate quintessentially American occasions or really even need to explain most of them very much- people know more or less what I'm talking about.

So two nights ago, although there was no 21 run, and no one was in danger of dying from alcohol poisoning- it was a successful celebration of 21.

No comments: