Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spring

And the rain rain rain came down down down...

To me, spring is usually just a more mild form of summer, no rain and slightly lower temperatures. But, this is not what spring is to the rest of the world- rather is a changeable thing, sunny one moment and rainy the next. As glorious as Berlin has been for the last two weeks- sunny and warm- we are now in a grey rainy period. I understand the logic and necessity of a spring jacket for the first time in my life! As much as I understand the rain is needed- I do wish it wouldn't.

It hadn't rained for a few weeks, and this weekend when I was riding the S-Bahn out into Pankow for a friend's BBQ, the drying landscape gave me the strongest feeling of homesickness. For the dry summer landscape and "golden" hills as you drive out in the country. For the dry heat warming your skin and baking sidewalks you jump across barefoot to get the mail. If the rain hadn't come, I could see Berlin's landscape turning into the scratchy hard pan, jittering and dusty in a hot dry summer gust. But the rain has come, and I think Berlin is going to stay green, I guess that is what most people tend to go for. And as lush and green as it is, I still can't help but find spring and summer rain a bit disconcerting.

So I carry my umbrella and sunglasses around with me at all times, and hope the sun'll come out to play. I promise to be nice.

No comments: