Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dresden: Cold, But Pretty


This weekend, I went to Dresden with my friends Marie and Lydia. Marie is heading back to California in another month and a half, so we're trying to get some more of Germany into that time! It has been decided that if we can get there via train in under four hours, it is totally doable as a day trip. At about three and half hours on the regional (and hence super-cheap) trains, Dresden fit the bill quite well. Despite some movie like drama in the beginning (the train pulls slowly away as your friend bangs on the door and you wave from the window)- the trip up was great. We had a bit of sun even; I was able to put on my optimistically included sunglasses and catch up on some vitamin D without risk of overdose!


Dresden was pretty, but cold. As we entered the train station at the end of our day (around 8ish), the outdoor temperature was -8, in Fahrenheit that is about 17. Burr, that's cold! The Frauenkirche was amazing, the outside is light and pretty (pictured above) but the inside is a riot of pastels and gold Baroque glory- not what any of us expected. The city showed signs of amazing gardens and an infrastructure perhaps best experienced in warmer weather. I think I'll be back when the sun comes to play more often.


Next weekend it looks like Leipzig and then the weekend after- Lübeck- it's good to see the world beyond Berlin. Did I mention we passed glorious snow covered fields on the way to Dresden? I do love farmland...

No comments: