Monday, February 9, 2009

Leipzig, the Detroit of Germany?


This weekend, the Germany fun continued with a trip to Leipzig. At about 2 hours-ish on the slow train, it more than fit the criteria for a day trip. Leipzig is the city of Bach, the church I am pictured with above, Thomaskirche, is Bach's church. Leipzig is also know for the first lasting signs of descent in former East Germany. The strange East German legacy was still very much present in Leipzig, from strangely monstrous monuments to empty buildings looking eerily Soviet, it was like a time warp. That and the empty streets on a typical German Sunday, made us ask ourselves, is Leipzig the Detroit of Germany? Depressing and grey with signs of former glory?


If we were to equate Bach and Leipzig's other favored son- Felix Mendelsohn Bartholdy (turning 200 this year, congrats!) to an American equivalent, wouldn't it be Motown? Clearly, Leipzig is the Detroit of Germany.


That said, we had a great time- saw beautiful things, enjoyed the above freezing temperatures, and saw a great sunset from the Soviet monument. Naturally I saw a wonderfully green field and blue sky, dotted with windmills on the way. What is it about the train and sun? I swear, it is always where ever I am not going. But I'll take my Vitamin D where I can get it.


Does it get better than that? I guess I'll wait and see. On the horizon, my second favorite holiday and Lübeck.

No comments: