Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day and Lübeck

If it hasn't been made clear yet, I love Valentine's Day. This year was a rather memorable one. Lydia and Marie came over, we baked a cake- delicious Black forest Chocolate Cake. And a lentil roast, and sweet potato wedges. Yum, it was all so good! The evening then took itself to an Irish pub in Kreuzberg to watch a match of the Six Nations Cup- England vs. Wales. It was very odd- I didn't feel like I was in Berlin anymore. There were a wide range of English accents to be had: Welsh, English, Scottish, Irish, and Marie and I- the token Americans. The atmosphere was great, full and very into the game, and they were all quite friendly, full of much banter.


Then we came back, ate cake and watched Shakespeare in Love, a marvelous movie which is always enjoyed. A sleepover then commenced and this morning we woke up early-ish to head off to Lübeck, an odd Hanseatic city in Northern Germany. Not only is the Alt-Stadt cool and surrounded by an essential moat- it also adorably cute and quite different than what we get in Berlin.

It was was snowing a rather wet snow the entire time we were there- but we are all reasonably healthy and dressed warm! As with all the places I've visited so far in Germany, I just cannot help but wonder what they are like in the Spring or Summer! Imagine the sun! The green! I am ready for Spring. Oh so ready. Well, Lent is soon, and Easter is then on the horizon. Not too long to wait.


Did I mention that Lübeck is the home and perhaps originator of Marzipan? Indeed, at the "Marzipan Salon" I felt like I was visiting something akin to the world's largest ball of twine- just a bit cooler. Because yes, the figures below are made of Marzipan! Oy!


All in all, it was sweet. I'd recommend Lübeck- it is exciting an not just for the marzipan. Did I mention than Thomas Mann lived there and the Buddenbrookshaus is there? Günter Grass currently makes his home there (does it remind him of Danzig??)- so if you want to stalk him, that could be the place to go. Not that I'm suggesting that or anything.

No comments: