Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Temperature Varience

We are getting cold. Not snowing cold yet- but nearly. That is not, however, what worries me. I can do cold, I do Idaho winters on a regular basis. What does worry me, is the lack of variance in high and low temperatures. Berlin has a startlingly small variance in these key numbers. Tomorrow has a high of 40° forecast, the low? 33°. Today was very similar, and while next week promises a slight increase in the temperature- the 7° to 10° difference promises to hold true. What does this mean for the cold, hard winter before me? If the low and high temperatures are so close- I am fearful of the future. And I don't scare easy.


I have a very nice pair of radiators- but I live by a simple winter motto- Suck it up, put on another sweater! I am saving the environment, one pullover at a time!

Beyond the apartment- German buildings and public transportation are like most public spaces- amazingly overheated. I don't quite understand how Germans manage to stay bundled up inside and while riding the subway (they rarely loosen even a scarf), but they do and I can only imagine it has to do with the dreaded European fear of a sudden change of body temperature. This is the reasoning for avoiding drafts like the plague and always wearing a scarf wrapped around the throat. Tomorrow is a snow/rain mixture, ugh!

No comments: