Thursday, October 16, 2008

Jetzt Geht Los!

For you unfortunate souls that do not speak German, that means "Here we go!" Classes have finally started. Here's a brief rundown of what I'm taking (with their corresponding English titles):

Jüdische Theologie im Spiegel des jüdischen Gottesdienstes - Jewish Theology as Seen Through the Mirror of the Jewish Worship Service

Mütterlichkeit- Motherliness (about constructions of motherhood in literature)

Mordsfrauen- Death's Women (about women as murderers in literature/film)

Frühhöfische Epik und Spielmannsepik- Early Courtly and Minstrel Epic

Bilder der Apokalypse in Mittelalter- Images of the Apocalypse in the Middle Ages

I have visited all the courses so far, with the exclusion of the exciting Middle High German class which does not start for two more weeks. I think my favorites will be the theology course and the middle high class, which has not yet started- but I guess we'll see. The theology building is in a beautiful location- behind Hackisher Markt, next to the Spree and close to the Berliner Dom. There is a little green spot next to the Spree and it is very picturesque.


It was a very charmed first class to go to. Now, because I need a grade for any classes I take, or Berkeley thinks I just played in Berlin, I have to go up to every professor after class and introduce myself and say hey- want to give me a grade? It is a bit nerve racking, but I seem to be doing fine. The classes meet about half as often as classes at Berkeley (2 hours once a week), so that will take some adjusting, but so far I am just excited to be in classes again.

Outside of school, it is very much fall. Leaves are falling everywhere and it smells like autumn- that slightly molting scent that fills your lungs as you walk down the street. A few days have been sunny, but for the most part we are looking at clouds and more clouds. I am not too cold yet, but I have taken to using my heater! It works pretty well, and when I have laundry drying in my room it dries much faster. That and my warmth seem to outweigh the dryness my mouth experiences each morning from the lack of moisture.

No comments: