Friday, October 24, 2008

Christmastime? Already?


I know, it's October, right? Well, I mean the end of October-ish, but it is beginning to feel a lot like Christmas. This feeling began about two weeks ago- I was meeting a friend at Alexanderplatz, when I walked out the U-Bahn station and into the square- I was struck with the beginning preparations for a Christmas market! This morning, I ran out to buy some eggs and orange juice, at the checkout counter- Advent Calendars. Now while I was pleased to see the variety of Advent Calendars, I was a bit amazed at their appearance so early.


The weather is beginning to even feel California Christmasy- the nights are looking to get around freezing next week, and the days are chill with weak sunlight streaming through the half barren trees. With my surroundings beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, I have had Christmas tunes running through my head. I spent yesterday listening to A Charlie Brown Christmas and this morning sang The Holly and the Ivy, among other tunes while I prepared my delicious spinach garlic scrambled eggs. I've already begun my knitting for Christmas gifts and my thought process for others. Christmas cards are beginning to be thought of, and I won't lie, this morning I was tempted to make a Christmas chain. Yesterday I caught myself looking for suitable paper in my room to make a snowflake out of. Once the snowflakes come out- I'm done for.

To top it off, last night I went to an art show my friend was having at this, well I guess you could call it a club (in the most laid back sense of that word) called O Tannenbaum. Their decor is, as you may have guessed, of a Christmas Tree theme. In my red coat and with thoughts of sugar plums already dancing through my head, it was quite fitting.

My only wish, at this early holiday stage, is to be able to maintain the Holiday feeling for another two months. There are only so many times I can listen to A Charlie Brown Christmas.

No comments: