Monday, November 3, 2008

Rings


Oh no! I've discovered something quite shocking. It seems, in Germany, wedding rings are worn on the right ring finger! Now, as you know, wedding rings are worn in the US and many other lands on the left ring finger according to a belief that a vein led from that finger directly to your heart, the vena amoris or vein of love. Apparently the Germans went with the Medieval idea that Right was good and Left was according to the Latin- sinister.


Except all this does not hold entirely true for the society- in Berlin, a land of multiculturalism and heavily influenced by American pop culture, you will see couples sporting rings both ways. Older German couples tend to opt for the Right hand, while youngsters go in for the Left. This, it seems to me, would lead to quite a bit of confusion. I am personally not sure what I should do. I generally wear one ring at a time, on my right ring finger. I suppose I could switch to wearing rings on the left, but that a) feels weird and b) all my rings are sized to my right ring finger and like most people my right and left ringer fingers are different sizes. In the meantime I have given up wearing rings entirely, which makes me quite sad- I like wearing rings.

Either way, I've come up with a new game while riding my morning train- spot the wedding rings. I think I might start to keep track of the right and left hand frequency.

No comments: