Monday, April 13, 2009

Spring in Berlin, oh what joy!

When the sun comes out, so do the Germans. In fact everyone comes out to play in Berlin the moment the temperature rises and the sun begins to shine. After what seemed like an eternal winter, I am happy to say that Spring is fully here in Berlin! The birds are chirping, the sun is rising earlier and going down later every day- I cannot imagine the magic of the summer to come! Just think how long the sun will be out! I want to spend every possible moment in the sun, basking in the warm rays dancing across my skin. In the S-Bahn cars, the top side windows have even been open to let in the cool spring air! After a window of keenly observing the instructions by the automatic doors- to close them on cold days- it is nice to experience the windows left open. There is no longer a fear of the cold. I am even altering my travel methods. I've come to prefer buses and trams. They are usually a bit slower, but they stay in the sun and let me see the sun-soaked city. Why go underground where the sun can't follow?

Today was Easter Monday, the last day of my seemingly forever semester break. I went with a few friends to Treptower Park to soak up some rays. It being Easter Monday and a national holiday and all, we weren't the only ones with such a plan- the park was full of people with the day off work and school, lounging in the sun. It was a most perfect day- the sun, friends, and relaxation. Although the break is over and tomorrow I'll head back to classes, I am happy that this semester will be in the warm light of spring and summer- not the weak one of winter. Oh spring, I like you. The sandals have come out, the legs have emerged from their stockings, and I am ready to get some color- just not too much, I am from California- we know about skin cancer there.

No comments: