Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Good Day

Today was a good day. Yesterday was a good day. I really could say this weekend was a good weekend. But right now I am in the present and willing to reflect on today. The sun woke me up and about an hour later, the alarm got me out of bed to get ready for church. Off to church I went, the sun shinning and the birds singing- the streets were quiet but for the birds and church bells ringing. Most are still abed in Berlin at 9.45 on a Sunday morning. Church was full of light and I was pleased to notice that in addition to having learned all of the responses in mass, I have also learned the tunes and words to many of the more sung songs, it was most encouraging. Next week, it seems, is also the mass for the First Communion kids- I'll be sure to head to another mass time next week! Then back home I wandered, the air warmer and the sun shinning a bit higher in the sky- church had run a bit long (a baptism)- but no matter, it was Sunday and I had not much before me.

Having finished my school reading the previous day (Oh, I love my ersatz window seat!), I hunkered down in the kitchen with A Prairie Home Companion on NPR Worldwide and set to making a batch of Snickerdoodles. Arlo Guthrie was the guest star and I enjoyed folk classics as I rolled my chilled dough in sugar and cinnamon. After the cookies were done, packaged, and dishes were done, I was able to settle down (in my window seat once more) to a bit of pleasure reading. I've discovered a German author I quite like- Katrin Dorn- and have set to reading all of her novels. I've finished Der Hunger der Kellnerin (The Hunger of the Waitress) and am currently enjoying Milonga. Milonga is apparently a fast form of tango- and it suits as the book is very much about a woman and dancing tango.

After a nice period relaxing at home, I headed to Görlitzer Park in Kreuzberg to meet Michael for an impromptu picnic of sorts. Görlitzer Park is a sort of cross section of Berlin and by extension the world. Next to young hipsters you'll find Turkish families having parties and little old ladies walking together in full hijab. There are families and young couples, old men collecting bottles for the 8-15cent deposit, and all sorts of less than savory or charming characters. While Michael and I were there- playing backgammon- we were able to observe the shooting of what looked like some sort of music video. I was able to snap this picture of the rather absurd occurrence. Were were sitting in an inverted hill- basically a large bowl. In the center of the bowl, there is an asphalt path for bicyclists, etc. The band was lip syncing to a boom box and pretending to play their instruments, all the while pushing a shopping cart full of junk and mostly their lead singer down this paved path. We were able to watch them do it about four or five times. Often, the cart wheels would catch a lip on the asphalt and the lead singer would fall out- the quite full park enjoyed the entertainment very much. After a while the sky grew overcast, Lydia stopped by, Michael left, and we went for Indian food. After some delicious food and marvelous conversation, we went our separate ways, and it being such a fine night, I elected to walk home. The walk from Kreuzberg to my Kiez in Friedrichshain is quite nice and relaxing. According to my snazzy route mapper, it is a 2.6 mile walk- and it was beautiful. I listened to the newest Q-Tip album and enjoyed the beautiful night. Here's a photo of some of Friedrichhain's skyline reflected on the Spree- a bit dark, but you get the idea. All in all, a pretty good day.

No comments: