Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sun- Catch It While You Can!

Everyday, I set out to widen my radius of adventures in Berlin. I started with my neighborhood's friendly streets and nearby shops and am in the process of moving outward. Today I went to the park for which my neighborhood is named- Volkspark Friedrichshain. It is about a 45 minute walk by the most direct route, but I tend to take less direct routes, and spent about an hour and an half getting there! I took the direct route back. It was quite a nice walk, Berlin was full of sun and light this morning/early afternoon. The streets aren't quite straight, and often lead to exciting places- or I end up getting lost, but hey, what else should I be doing other than exploring Berlin right now?

But back to Volkspark Friedrichshain. Quite something.
The park is most famous for the Märchenbrunnen- or Fairy Tale Fountain. It is a quite imposing fountain surrounded by statues of characters from fairy tales. The park seems to be a hot spot for young mothers and their children, couples eating lunch, and old men reading their newspapers on benches. Not to mention the many scantily clad sunbathers out today! I spent the early afternoon there, basking in the sun and the falling yellow leaves. It seems Summer already wishes to come to an end. The sun is already gone for today- it should rain later, but no matter, the sun in the park was enough to lighten the day! Below is quite an interesting, well post card, I guess, that I found of the Märchenbrunnen.

No comments: