Thursday, August 14, 2008

I'm in Germany, now where can I buy tape...


I am safely arrived in Berlin, after 14 hours in a plane, an half hour trying to find my new roommate Melanie, and about 15 hours of sleep- I truly am here. It feels great to be here. My neighborhood is oh so cute, lots of young families, and some hipsters- all quite in the midst of gentrification. Next door to my building is a Kindergarten, and Melanie has already warned me about leaving things outside- it seems the kids in our building are quite sneaky and will take anything if you leave it outside for too long. I have yet to see these mentioned roves of children (beyond those at Kindergarten and the neighborhood park), but I am keeping my eyes open. I'd like to make friends with them!

I spent the late morning/early afternoon walking around my little neighborhood, buying essentials like shampoo, yogurt, tea, and bananas. I even bought a book- I thought to buy a good German novel of popular fiction- alas I ended up (quite unknowingly) purchasing a book "Aus dem Amerikanischen" (From the American). I can only hope the translator has done a good job!
Beyond trying to remember to use those pesky 1 and 2€ coins (they fill up your wallet so quickly!), I am in the midst of trying to watch the Olympics. It is a bit more complicated than it seems- the king of Olympic programming, NBC, has deemed me, as someone outside of the US, unworthy for their online programming. Well, NBC, fine by me- I always was an ABC News fan anyway. I've found a website promising programming for those in Europe, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I have to use Internet Explorer, annoying, and there seems to be a catch beyond that- it thus eludes me. For those of you who are familiar with the EuroVision song contest- it is EuroVision which offers the elusive programming, what don't they do? It seems they also have a Dance Contest going on currently...

I am in Berlin, using my German, and feeling rather charmed. The only question I currently have is where to buy tape? I was about to hang pictures/posters/Scotty drawings, etc. on my walls, when it occured to me that I might need tape or some adhesive to make this mild decoration possible. It is something I was unable to find in my wanderings. I'll have to ask Melanie where one purchases tape. With that, I am in Berlin and in search of tape.

No comments: