Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sun! (...and Life Without a Microwave)

Today was a gorgeous day after more than a few with rain. Sunlight streaming through my curtains gently woke me, and motivated my trip to Treptower Park. The S-Bahn was full of people out and about on a Sunday afternoon. It was a special shopping day and the local shopping mall was open from 1pm-6pm and quite a few others throughout the city were as well. (Stores in Germany are rarely open on Sundays) The Sunday shoppers were, however, in the minority when compared to the legions out to catch some sun.

When the S-Bahn arrived at Treptower Park, over two thirds of the very full train exited, many on bikes, a gaggle of small children in strollers, and even a few dogs. Treptower Park is great because it is right on the Spree, Berlin's main river, and is quite a large park. The park was full- full of couples delighting in the sun, old wrinkly men sunbathing, and bicyclists on every possible path. I almost expected some kind of impromptu concert to begin, given the number of people there.


Birds were chirping, the sun warmed skin in lazy afternoon rays, and the water sparkled- it was perfect. I found a spot partly shaded, against a strong oak, and enjoyed my book. I could have spent all day there, but the sun grew cold, as it is wont, and I was obliged to travel back, away from my idyllic setting.

As a side note, I have been in a baking mood as of late, and yesterday I made a quite delicious pizza. This morning, I enjoyed one of my favorite things- leftovers! Leftover pizza in particular makes a delightful breakfast and I usually eat it cold- but this morning I realized that short of heating it in the oven or possibly in a skillet over the stove, that this is how I would be obliged to eat any leftover pizza. I don't have a microwave. At first, I thought, "Hey, I don't use a microwave that often! I'll be fine." But then I thought some more about leftovers, maybe I do. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

No comments: