Friday, March 13, 2009

England, oh an English speaking country...how novel!

This is a long time coming, but I have had the good fortune of playing hostess once more since dear Charlotte came to visit. But here we go- England! A few weeks ago, I made my first venture into an English speaking country since August. It was marvelous, strange, charming, and oddly familiar. Beyond people speaking English, the signs were in English and my minor fear of linguistic failure was significantly less- if nonexistent. But let us start with the beginning, and the beginning is Berlin.

My friend Charlotte first came to Berlin, we saw the sights, took in the graffiti, and made a day trek to San Souci, in general having an awesome time in Berlin. We went to the Mauerpark flea market, saw if we could be a Jewish Peddler circa 1860 at the Jewish museum, and naturally ate delicious Döner Kebab. Then, we were off to London. The day began amusingly enough. We were on a Ryan Air flight, now those of you who have not had the pleasure of flying with Ryan Air will not expect this tale, but perhaps knowing that Ryan Air is a budget airliner will acclimatize you. Problems started at the gate, we were inexplicably given boarding passes stamped as though we were going to Frankfurt. This wasn't caught until we were boarding the plane, requiring flight attendants to ask each passenger if they were indeed traveling to London. They took our incorrect boarding passes from us, and everyone sat down, buckled up, and got ready to head to London. Then the flight crew realized that we need our boarding passes, so our names were called one by one and the passes were redistributed. During the redistribution, the captain came on and let us know that he'd be turning the power off for a while. About ten minutes after the boarding passes have been properly redistributed, the captain comes back on and announces that there is a problem with the plane, and that they've called an engineer- from Dublin- who should be here in three hours to fix it. In the meantime, we're going to deplane. General moaning ensues and everyone begins to fetch their carryons from the overhead bins. Then about three to five minutes later a flight attendant comes on and announces that we aren't yet deplaning and that we should stay on our seats. At this point, Charlotte and I are creating alternate plans, glad that I live in Berlin and if needed we can stay a bit longer, should the engineer from Dublin not be able to fix the plane. Then, about 15 minutes later, the captain comes back on, tells us they've done a little "trouble shooting" and we should be able to take off in about 20 minutes. Charlotte and I have a nice long laugh- pack our doubts about "trouble shooting" and airtravel away, and finally head off to London. A serious comedy of errors.

London with Charlotte was amazing. I was able to see her old haunts, wander through parks beginning to show signs of spring, and take in London. We saw La Cage aux Folles with Graham Norton, looked upon London from the top of St. Paul's, and ate delicious Indian food on Brick Lane. In keeping with the graffiti tour of Berlin, we also caught some Banksy in London, as well as a very exciting form of graffiti, knitting graffiti. As some of you may know, knitting is becoming quite hip- so in keeping with this hipness, knitting graffiti has been born. Because what statue doesn't need a hat or arm warmers? I think I should consider bringing knitting graffiti- let's say knitfitti to Berkeley, or Berlin at the very least. Semester break project, yeah! Of all the things in London, I think I enjoyed the oncoming Spring the most- I am oh so ready for Spring! In London, color plants had been planted, crocuses were blooming, and later in my travels I even found daffodils. Germany is just at the crocus stage- but I have hope for the spring to come! Easter is my latest date. April 12th is totally possible!

It was an amazing three days in London with Charlotte- but it had to come to an end, with Charlotte heading back home. I, however, did not head home. Rather I journeyed South, to New Milton, my friend Lydia, and her family. The train ride to Winchester (England's first capitol where I broke my journey, also where Jane Austen died) was uneventful and took me through beautiful countryside. Winchester was even warmer than London had been, and I wore just a cashmere cardigan, shedding my jacket. I felt the sun and spring on their way! Lydia and I then continued to her home where preparations for a family birthday party were underway. I was able to meet the whole family and even more- feel like I was once more part of a family. Everyone was so open and welcoming- it was marvelous. I miss being a part of a family and it was nice to get slightly into that swing once more. New Milton is on the South Coast of England, and Lydia's house is about a mile from the sea. We walked to the sea, fought the wind, and basked in the warmth of the sun- wishing for summer, but taking the beginnings of spring. We were also able to go to the Isle of Wight. Where you know, Tennyson lived. We reached the Isle by ferry and spent the better part of the day wandering through Yarmouth, Freshwater, and other even smaller hamlets on the Island. Much of our wandering was over open country- where I saw such sights as this amazingly picturesque little gate and some ducks in a very low and muddy pond. We walked for hours and when we returned home that night to a movie and curry with Lydia's mom, it was very much appreciated and enjoyed! A few lazy days were also had, lounging about, sleeping in, and eating leftovers- the true enjoyments of being on break and going home. I had such a nice time, when it came to go back to London and then back to Berlin, I did not want to leave. I wanted to watch the spring come and laze a bit more with such warm and loving people. Alas, it did end- I had to bid adieu and head back to Berlin. I was asked, multiple times, "Jenna, could you see yourself living in the U.K.?" and I have to say, yes. It was charming and familiar- but just a bit different. And the fact that I could communicate successfully is also a major benefit. I didn't want to leave, but it was all for the best, because then Cordelia came.

No comments: