Tuesday, September 9, 2008

White After Labor Day

So I know this rule is fading, and surely has been for a while in California. But, anytime between Labor Day and Easter I cannot help but think twice before putting on white shoes, pants, dresses, or even skirts. Labor Day rolled our way a bit ago- this caused me to begin contemplating the existence of such a "rule" in German culture. My first stop was Melanie, the ever useful roommate.

To make a long conversation short, she had never heard of such a thing. She also thought it was kind of crazy. Later that week, we were walking through Berlin and I saw some Cowboy boots in a shop window. I told her about my Pink Ropers as a girl, how I wore them with everything (especially dresses and skirts as I was never fond of pants) and hardly ever wore socks. This caused me to recall the Stride Rite incident. For the uninformed out there, the Stride Rite incident refers to a shoe shopping incident with my grandmother during the Pink Ropers period.

It was approaching Easter and my grandma was taking me to buy a new pair of white shoes for Easter. As a small child, a measurement of my feet was required. The friendly shoe salesman took my amazingly pink boots off, and with my foot, out came sand, dirt, and other bits of things that do not belong in shoes. And naturally, I wasn't wearing socks. My grandmother was so embarrassed! She did, however, buy me the shoes and a nice pair of white socks with lace around the edges. I still remember them. As much as I remember the story, it is the combination of my hazy patch of memories and my grandmother's almost yearly retelling on my birthday.

Melanie thinks that new Easter dresses and white shoes is an adorable tradition. I can't help but think it colors my impression of childhood. But it seems I can wear white year round without fear of censure here. Good to know.

As an added note- Melanie's birthday is Easter this year. I am so jealous.

2051, here I come!

1 comment:

sonia said...

Hey Jenna,
It's Auntie Sonia. I remember that story. Even though I still reside in the U.S., up here, many people at work and socially seem to have broken away from the "white shoe, etc." tradition. I remember those pink boots :). I also remember us fighting over the bed when we were younger :). I am so happy for you and the journey you're taking. In many ways, I cherish the memories of when you were a lil' tot. You're doing amazing things and such an eloquent writer. I'm glad you have the blog, helps me keep in touch. We miss you and love you. Stay well and ENJOY! Soak it all up!